On 3 July 2013 I was diagnosed with a cerebral aneurysm, which later turned out to be two. This blog is a journey into my brain as I deal to the aneurysms lurking there. Along the way I'm calling on the collective proverbial wisdom and sage advice of some recognised (and maybe a few not-so-recognised) writers for aphorisms which complement my journey.

This is not just a personal journey but also a journey of discovery for everyone who has, had, or knows someone with a cerebral aneurysm.


Friday 10 July 2015

Nothing in the world is ever completely wrong. Even a stopped clock is right twice a day. ~ Paulo Coelho

I am back! Well, at least to this Aneurysm Aphorism blog, when I should have been on here regularly with news about what is happening with aneurysms and strokes. And anything else I have been involved with. Sorry, yes I am, but you know what? I have done heaps.... not paid, just heaps!

In February I had my second aneurysm CT'd again, and I'd turned up to see Dr Webster for a report on it. He was in an operation and wouldn't be back too soon, so I went home. An hour back to my present home (now Scarborough, same Moreton Bay Council area as Woody Point where I was last year end) and to my dog, who would pine for me. They should have my aneurysm CT'd every year, and I should go in to PA or closer to get a report from the neurosurgeon. I should be contacting PA, but I haven't written it down and I keep forgetting about it! PA Hospital rang me that evening and said I didn't need to reschedule with Dr Webster. I think they did that to me because I was so far away from them. That time I thought they were really thinking for me, but a bit later I started to think, I really do need it every year!

My course at Metro Health in North Lakes was about stroke personal self management, called "Dream, Believe, Achieve", which I found so very helpful. There were, most days, 8-10 people, either survivors or carers who attended and spoke about the problems we (they) all suffered. I have a booklet from that group which I can read through whenever I forget anything. I feel so good that I passed, and even  every person who stayed there for the 6 days over 6 weeks would pass! This course was run by Stroke Foundation, and I found out such a lot of information about this organisation... more coming in the future!

Last year I had joined the Aphasia group, and I meet them every month for a coffee and chat. After 8 months I am finally starting to remember some names! Last month I'd met a newby, I think his name is Sumil. This month he came with Tamara, from CBRT! She had helped me for 3 months last year with my speech pathology. She is a lovely woman, and I am sure that Sumil will come forward with her.

The other group which I joined is STEPS - Skills To Enable People and communitieS. This is related to the ABIOS (Acquired Brain Injury Outreach Service) which helped me when I left the BIRU ward and still couldn't talk. I am very happy with the relationship, and I have asked the leader, Areti, for information about whether or not I can train as a Leader for my group. Fingers are crossed!

And one other group I have joined with is Synapse, which is a brain injury group based in Queensland. There is a lot of stuff in this group that I could become involved with - just leading up to Bang on a Beanie which is advertising the Brain Injury Awareness week, 17-23 August this year. Check Synapse out, and buy a Beanie!!

On 10 June I had an article printed in the Redcliffe & Bayside Herald, which wrote about me living my own personal long road and the reasons why. It was so very good, and I have had a few good comments from people about this, including from my volunteer leader, Angelique, at the Redcliffe Art Gallery. That volunteering I still do, and now I am there on Monday and Friday mornings. I love it!

This week I received a phone call from Lilly who runs the CBRT (Community Based Rehabilitation Team). She was "in charge" of me when I came up to this area and went to CBRT. Now, she told me, she has had a call from someone who works with brain injuries, who read this article and want to come and interview me!!  I am so looking forward to this, I really believe that I can go forward to talk about brain aneurysms, ABI (Aquired Brain Injury), TBI (Trauma Brain Injury), Stroke and depression. This is stuff which I really know about now and I really do want to educate people about this!

I'm off again just now, but I really am hoping I don't forget this again!! Have a wonderful weekend everyone!

1 comment:

  1. Great post.Thanks for one marvelous posting! I enjoyed reading it;The information was very useful. Please kindly visit our site to get more information about Doctor to your Home Perth.

    ReplyDelete