On 3 July 2013 I was diagnosed with a cerebral aneurysm, which later turned out to be two. This blog is a journey into my brain as I deal to the aneurysms lurking there. Along the way I'm calling on the collective proverbial wisdom and sage advice of some recognised (and maybe a few not-so-recognised) writers for aphorisms which complement my journey.

This is not just a personal journey but also a journey of discovery for everyone who has, had, or knows someone with a cerebral aneurysm.


Monday 27 July 2015

The secret of man’s being is not only to live, but to have something to live for. ~ Fyodor Mikhailovich Dostoyevsky


There are around 2% of people in Australia who have brain aneurysms. Did you know that? 

Throughout Australia it’s shown in statistics and website information pages that death as a result of ruptured brain aneurysms can be up to 20%. For those who survive because of a very good neurosurgeon, this can still be extremely scary. How many will fully recover, get back to their previous life, just get on with their future the same as they would have? How many wouldn’t completely recover?

The website for Macquarie University Hospital says that it is “uncommon to diagnose an aneurysm before it has ruptured and most people with aneurysms are unaware that they have an aneurysm until it bursts.” That was what happened to me two years ago – I was totally unaware of what was playing around in my brain when my first aneurysm was found in a CT scan which was not directed at aneurysms.

During my surgery, 293 days after CT’d, I had some heart problems and a stroke in my brain. It seems this is very unusual result at a neurosurgeon’s operating theatre. How many other people in this country had the same issues that I had?

Our brain aneurysm Facebook, Brain Aneurysm Support Australia, only has around 830 supporters. How many is this of actual aneurysms? According to Macquarie University Hospital, in Australia there are “more than 1,600 aneurysms rupture each year.” How many people, either BASA or any other groups throughout Australia, are there because of an active aneurysm, whether fixed or not yet? How many are there because they were – so luckily – found to have an aneurysm in their head? How many are fixed properly?

Some of the personal stories (other countries, not here unfortunately) agree that they didn’t want to give any information about their aneurysm, yet after their operation they “see the light” and talk about themselves and what happened. For me, this is essential – aneurysms exist and must be talked about. This is pretty much what we do every day on BASA. Brain Aneurysm Support.

I have written (almost finished) a book called Aneurysms with Aphorisms, which is very similar to this blog, but right now I don’t have any confidence that it will get printed and people will read it and learn from it. Personally I believe that every person who has had problems because of their aneurysm should write about it if they can. Should publish about it. Should have a website about it.

And every person in the Australian population who has a very high, very comfortable income, should help these survivors to pass the information onto everyone else in this country.

Information about brain aneurysms is essential for you to know. Start with Macquarie University Hospital, move on to Brain Foundation who support brain aneurysms in amongst so much involving the brain, find a neurosurgeon in your area (I’ve put Dr Jason Wenderoth in here as he is a supporter in BASA), and find out who you can contact for support and care.

And then help me to get my book published and buy it!!!

2 comments:

  1. Great post.Thanks for one marvelous posting! I enjoyed reading it;The information was very useful. Please kindly visit our site to get more information about House Call Doctor Perth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post.Thanks for one marvelous posting! I enjoyed reading it;The information was very useful. Please kindly visit our site to get more information about House Call Doctor Perth.

    ReplyDelete